03 Jun Research Internship
The British Foreign Policy Group think tank is seeking a research intern to work on a variety of interesting, and high-profile, projects pertaining to UK foreign policy and social research.
Responsibilities will include:
- Developing literature reviews and background research briefings;
- Conducting independent research to briefs, around a wide variety of topics;
- Analysing and interpreting quantitative and qualitative data-sets;
- Sourcing and formalising references for existing research;
- Assisting with events and other organisational administration.
The successful applicant will be a highly motivated individual, capable of working diligently, and efficiently, to a high standard. They will possess an impeccable attention to detail, and will be experienced in sourcing and referencing to an academic standard.
It is not expected that all applicants will possess a strong understanding of UK foreign policy, nor are they required to have experience with public opinion research. However, a strong interest in both of these areas, and the willingness to learn, will be critical.
Applicants with specialist knowledge in various policy areas or areas of social research are encouraged to highlight these in their application – for example, a thesis completed on China’s rising geopolitical power, or the future of the European Union, or on public opinion on military interventionism.
- A bachelor’s degree or above, preferably in an area of social sciences, history, war studies and/or public policy;
- Strong computer skills – comfortable with Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as Google Docs and Sheets;
- Experience or a willingness to learn how to use other online platforms, including WordPress, Mailchimp, Eventbrite etc.;
- The right to live and work in the United Kingdom.
This is a full-time internship position, for a minimum initial period of 6 weeks. The BFPG is currently working remotely, and this role will – at least initially – be undertaken online. The internship pays a fixed compensation of £250/week. The successful candidate will be afforded a written reference at the completion of the internship, and may be able to extend their internship and/or transition to a staff role in the future.
To apply for this role, please submit a CV (no more than two pages) and a cover letter of one page, setting out your relevant skills and experience, and how this internship will assist your career ambitions.
Please submit all documentation to email@example.com with the subject line, ‘Internship Application’.
Applications close: 5pm on Thursday 11 June 2020.
Note: Due to the high levels of applications for BFPG internships, we will only be responding to shortlisted candidates.